Sunday, March 15, 2009

Pasta Puttanesca

Hi Guys! I have become a huge fan of this dish and I bet all of you will like it too. I didn't use actual anchovies because they look gross so I used anchovy paste and it was delicious. I guess you could just not use it, but trust me..if you like capers you'll like the paste!! It doesn't taste fishy at ALL. I used kalamata olives too, instead of black olives. yummy yum!! I used a penne pasta instead of spaghetti just because I thought it went better with the sauce. I love garlic and I love salt so this meal was perfect. Plus its low fat!! yay!

2 tablespoons (2 turns around the pan) extra-virgin olive oil
4 to 6 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tin flat anchovy fillets, drained
1 /2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
20 oil-cured black olives, cracked away from pit and coarsely chopped
3 tablespoons capers
1 (32-ounce) can chunky style crushed tomatoes
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
A few grinds black pepper
1/4 cup (a couple of handfuls) flat leaf parsley, chopped
1 pound spaghetti, cooked to al dente (with a bite)
Crusty bread, for mopping
Grated Parmigiano Reggiano or Romano, for passing, optional

Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add oil, garlic, anchovies, and crushed pepper. Saute mixture until anchovies melt into oil and completely dissolve and garlic is tender, about 3 minutes: your kitchen never smelled so good! Add olives, capers, tomatoes, black pepper, and parsley. Bring sauce to a bubble, reduce heat, and simmer 8 to 10 minutes.
Toss sauce with cooked pasta. Pass bread and cheese at the table and serve with a simple salad of mixed bitter greens dressed with oil and vinegar, salt, and pepper.
Cook's Note: Get your olives from the bulk bins in the market, rather than buying a jar. The unit price is always much less per pound and you can get just what you need for each recipe.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for that delicious recipe! I made it for lunch today and yum... Brett had no idea there was anchovy paste in it either. (I didn't tell him either because he would suddenly not like it). haha.

    ReplyDelete